Friday, December 9, 2011

Prototype Printing

Today while at work I was brainstorming on way to cut my prototype costs. My two biggest costs are printing and artwork. So, besides drawing all the cards myself and finding usable free images online, I couldn't really find anyway of cutting costs for artwork. So I am going to continue trying to find a few artists who are willing to help get us started with a few drawings and then back paying them once up and running. Might be a while waiting for these artists to come along.

Moving on to printing costs I thought what if I printed them myself. I would just need a bunch of ink cartridges and paper. Ok, this is sounding good in my head. I figured about 30 colored ink cartridges and about 1200 pieces of think paper. Nope this isn't going to work with my printer. I don't think a think card stock will fit and the ink is gonna smear or bleed. Well scratch that idea without buying a new printer and that isn't going to be cheap. So, what do I always do when I get stuck on an idea, google it. So on a break I ended up watching a few YouTube videos and found this one:
So tomorrow I have the day off and I am going to go to staples/kinkos/office depot and check out different sizes and types of card stock. I am also going to try and get a quote on printing sheets of cards. I figure on an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of card stock I can get 8 cards. A deck of 80 cards would be 10 sheets of 8 cards and 50 decks would be 500 sheets. But two sides glued together would be 1000 sheets. I will get a quotes on these numbers. Also, an advantage to this method is it is less expensive for the prototype and would be done with laser printer not ink but some extra work gluing and cutting cards. Should be a fun and knowledge gaining experience. Thanks for reading and please follow the blog.

-SRock

No comments:

Post a Comment